|J & SL Bonham|
In our Online Catalogue we have only a selection from our extensive stock. We would be happy therefore to answer any Enquiries. Visitors are always welcome but please make an appointment to avoid a wasted journey.
- BULLEN Frank T. THE CRUISE OF THE 'CACHALOT'; Round the World after Sperm Whales. London: Smith Elder, 1898. 
FIRST EDITION, 8vo, pp xx, 379, folding map, illustrations, original blue decorative cloth, joints slightly rubbed. £125
- DALRYMPLE-HAY J C. LINES FROM MY LOG-BOOKS. David Douglas, 1898. 
FIRST EDITION, 8vo, pp xi, 412, photographic frontispiece, plates, maps, original blue decorative cloth, corners rubbed, inner hinge cracked. £60
- DELANO Amasa. A NARRATIVE OF VOYAGES AND TRAVELS, IN THE NORTHERN AND SOUTHERN HEMISPHERES; comprising Three Voyages Round the World; together with a voyage of survey and discovery, in the Pacific Ocean and oriental islands. E G House, 1817. 
FIRST EDITION, 8vo, pp 599, portrait frontispiece, 2 plates (Abba Thulle and Map of Pitcairn), contemporary black half calf, re-backed using original spine, the cleanest copy I have seen, most copies suffer from foxing and browning. £1250
"An account by an American of his three voyages to various parts of the Pacific between 1790 and 1807. He called at Van Diemen's Land and engaged in sealing in Bass Strait, of which he gives a description (pp 427-72)." Ferguson 672.
- DU PERIER. A GENERAL HISTRY OF ALL VOYAGES AND TRAVELS THROUGHOUT THE OLD AND NEW WORLD... London: Edmund Curll, 1708. 
First UK Edition, 8vo, pp (x), 364, (8), frontispiece, 5 plates, small wormhole in the margin of the first 76 pages not affecting text or plates, contemporary brown panelled calf, recently re-backed. £750
- FOSBROKE Thomas Dudley. FOREIGN TOPOGRAPHY; or, An Encyclopedick Account, alphabetically arranged, of the Ancient Remains in Africa, Asia, and Europe; forming a sequel to the Encyclopedia of Antiquities. London: J B Nichols, 1828. 
FIRST EDITION, quarto, pp xlviii, 348, 11 plates (partly coloured), illustrations, contemporary full calf, spine a little rubbed. £120
There were 22 additional plates issued but not always bound in.
Bookplate of the Duke of Portland.
- GREY William, Hon Mrs. JOURNAL OF A VISIT TO EGYPT, CONSTANTINOPLE, THE CRIMEA, GREECE, ETC; in the Suite of the Prince and Princess of Wales. London: Smith Elder, 1870. 
Second Edition, 8vo, pp 203, original purple cloth, spine lightly faded. £65
- HINCHLIFF Thomas Woodbine. OVER THE SEA AND FAR AWAY. Longmans, Green, 1876. 
FIRST EDITION, 8vo, pp xv, 416, 14 illustrations, recent brown half calf. RARE. £220
Charles Wheatley's copy, see page 118.
- [KELTIE, J Scott. (Ed)] ROYAL GEOGRAPHICAL SOCIETY, JOURNAL OF Vol V, January-June 1895. Across Southern Bashan; Notes in Eastern Mashonaland; An Artistic Expedition to the North Pole; The Luchu Islands; Chitral, Hunza and the Hindu Kush. RGS, 1895. 
FIRST EDITION, 8vo, pp viii, 648, contemporary half morocco. £80
- LA MARTINIERE Bruzen. INTRODUCTION A L'HISTOIRE DE L'ASIE, DE L'AFRIQUE, ET DE L'AMERIQUE. Amsterdam: Zacharie Chatelain, 1735. 
FIRST EDITION, 2 vols, small 8vo, pp xxiii, 504; 568; 4 folding maps, contemporary full calf, joints cracked, wear and rubbing to head and tail of spine. £240
- LUBIN R P A. MERCURE GEOGRAPHIQUE; ou, le Guide du Curieux des Cartes Geographiques. Paris: Chez Christopie Remy, 1678. 
FIRST EDITION, 12mo, pp viii, 413, 23, frontispiece, woodcut on title-page, a page of the "Tables" torn without loss, contemporary brown full calf, gilt, covers rubbed, neatly re-backed using original spine, a good tight copy. £950
- LYNAM Edward. RICHARD HAKLUYT AND HIS SUCCESSORS. London: Hakluyt Society, 1946. 
FIRST EDITION, 8vo, pp 192, 68, illustrations, original blue cloth. £40
- MEINERTZHAGEN Richard. DIARY OF A BLACK SHEEP. Oliver & Boyd, 1964. 
FIRST EDITION, 8vo, pp xxii, 364, 24 plates, original red cloth, dust-jacket (fading to spine). £90
Autobiography of the famous naturalist and author of Birds of Arabia and Kenya Diary.
- NICOLL M J. THREE VOYAGES OF A NATURALIST; being an Account of Many Little-Known Islands in Three Oceans Visited by the 'Valhalla', RYS. London: Witherby, 1908. 
FIRST EDITION, 8vo, pp xxvi, 246, maps, illustrations, original blue cloth. £80
- NORMAN C B. COLONIAL FRANCE. W H Allen, 1886. 
FIRST EDITION, 8vo, pp xii, 331, folding map, original purple decorative cloth, spine slightly faded, good, clean and crisp. £75
Details of all the countries France controls.
- OTTER R H. WINTERS ABROAD; some Information respecting Places Visited by the author on account of his Health. London: John Murray, 1882. 
FIRST EDITION, 8vo, pp xii, 236, original red cloth, faded in parts, sprung but joints intact. £45
- PARKER Harry, & BOWEN C Frank. MAIL & PASSENGER; Steamships of the Nineteenth Century; the Macpherson Collection with Iconographical and Historical Notes. London: Sampson Low, 1928. 
FIRST EDITION, quarto, pp xxvii, 324, 16 colour plates, numerous black & white illustrations, original beige cloth, a near fine copy. £300
- PUMPELLY Raphael. ACROSS AMERICA AND ASIA; Notes of a Five Years' Journey Around the World and of Residence in Arizona, Japan and China. London: Sampson Low, 1870. 
FIRST EDITION, 8vo, pp xvi, 454, 4 maps (3 folding), 4 coloured wood cuts, 8 plates, illustrations, original red decorative cloth, inner joints cracked, but a very good clean copy. £170
- SKOGMAN C[arl Johan Alfred]. FREGATTEN 'EUGENIES' RESA OMKRING JORDEN; åren 1851-1853, under Befäl af C A Virgin. Stockholm: Adolf Bonnier, nd [1854-55.] 
FIRST EDITION, 2 vols-in-1, 8vo, pp vi, (i) blank, 250; v, (iii), 224, (2); lithographic plates (18 coloured, some heightened with varnish), 6 line-engravings, 3 folding charts, textual vignettes, bound in later blue cloth with recent brown leather label, an uncommon circumnavigation. £200
Skogman was the astronomer on board the 'EUGENIE' which visited the east and west coasts of South America and Pacific and Indian Ocean islands. Virgin commanded this first Swedish circumnavigation, which also called at Hong Kong, San Francisco, Canton, Manila, Singapore, Batavia, the Cape of Good Hope and the Azores. Only the thirty pages dealing with Honolulu were translated into English (1954).
"The work is much sought after because of its fine color plates. In the appendices is a section on whaling in the Pacific Ocean." Hill Hill p573; Kroepelien 1196
- WILKES Charles. NARRATIVE OF THE UNITED STATES' EXPLORING EXPEDITION DURING THE YEARS 1838-1842. London: Whittaker, 1845. 
Condensed and Abridged Edition, 8vo, pp vii, 372, original green blind stamped cloth, spine faded and split on 1 joint and small wear to head and tail. £95
- WOLFF Joseph. TRAVELS AND ADVENTURES OF DR WOLFF. Saunders, Otley, 1860. 
FIRST EDITION, 8vo, 2 vols, pp viii, 535; xv, 465; portrait frontispiece, small vignette on title-pages, contemporary brown half calf, small piece of leather missing at head of Vol II, a good, clean set. Scarce. £1200