|J & SL Bonham|
In our Online Catalogue we have only a selection from our extensive stock. We would be happy therefore to answer any Enquiries. Visitors are always welcome but please make an appointment to avoid a wasted journey.
- BULLEN Frank T. THE CRUISE OF THE 'CACHALOT'; Round the World after Sperm Whales. London: Smith Elder, 1898. 
FIRST EDITION, 8vo, pp xx, 379, folding map, illustrations, original blue decorative cloth, joints slightly rubbed. £125
- BYRON, Commodore. A VOYAGE ROUND THE WORLD IN HIS MAJESTY'S SHIP 'THE DOLPHIN'. J Newbery, 1767. 
FIRST EDITION, 8vo, pp 187, frontispiece, 2 plates, contemporary brown calf, re-backed with original spine, some small loss of leather on upper cover. £1100
- CAMPBELL Gordon. CAPTAIN COOK RN, FRS. Hodder & Stoughton, 1936. 
FIRST EDITION, 8vo, pp 320, charts, illustrations, original blue cloth, dust-jacket. £25
- DALRYMPLE-HAY J C. LINES FROM MY LOG-BOOKS. David Douglas, 1898. 
FIRST EDITION, 8vo, pp xi, 412, photographic frontispiece, plates, maps, original blue decorative cloth, corners rubbed, inner hinge cracked. £60
- DELANO Amasa. A NARRATIVE OF VOYAGES AND TRAVELS, IN THE NORTHERN AND SOUTHERN HEMISPHERES; comprising Three Voyages Round the World; together with a voyage of survey and discovery, in the Pacific Ocean and oriental islands. E G House, 1817. 
FIRST EDITION, 8vo, pp 599, portrait frontispiece, 2 plates (Abba Thulle and Map of Pitcairn), contemporary black half calf, re-backed using original spine, the cleanest copy I have seen, most copies suffer from foxing and browning. £1250
"An account by an American of his three voyages to various parts of the Pacific between 1790 and 1807. He called at Van Diemen's Land and engaged in sealing in Bass Strait, of which he gives a description (pp 427-72)." Ferguson 672.
- FOSBROKE Thomas Dudley. FOREIGN TOPOGRAPHY; or, An Encyclopedick Account, alphabetically arranged, of the Ancient Remains in Africa, Asia, and Europe; forming a sequel to the Encyclopedia of Antiquities. London: J B Nichols, 1828. 
FIRST EDITION, quarto, pp xlviii, 348, 11 plates (partly coloured), illustrations, contemporary full calf, spine a little rubbed. £120
There were 22 additional plates issued but not always bound in.
Bookplate of the Duke of Portland.
- HINCHLIFF Thomas Woodbine. OVER THE SEA AND FAR AWAY. Longmans, Green, 1876. 
FIRST EDITION, 8vo, pp xv, 416, 14 illustrations, recent brown half calf. RARE. £220
Charles Wheatley's copy, see page 118.
- [KELTIE, J Scott. (Ed)] ROYAL GEOGRAPHICAL SOCIETY, JOURNAL OF Vol V, January-June 1895. Across Southern Bashan; Notes in Eastern Mashonaland; An Artistic Expedition to the North Pole; The Luchu Islands; Chitral, Hunza and the Hindu Kush. RGS, 1895. 
FIRST EDITION, 8vo, pp viii, 648, contemporary half morocco. £80
- LA MARTINIERE Bruzen. INTRODUCTION A L'HISTOIRE DE L'ASIE, DE L'AFRIQUE, ET DE L'AMERIQUE. Amsterdam: Zacharie Chatelain, 1735. 
FIRST EDITION, 2 vols, small 8vo, pp xxiii, 504; 568; 4 folding maps, contemporary full calf, joints cracked, wear and rubbing to head and tail of spine. £240
- LUBIN R P A. MERCURE GEOGRAPHIQUE; ou, le Guide du Curieux des Cartes Geographiques. Paris: Chez Christopie Remy, 1678. 
FIRST EDITION, 12mo, pp viii, 413, 23, frontispiece, woodcut on title-page, a page of the "Tables" torn without loss, contemporary brown full calf, gilt, covers rubbed, neatly re-backed using original spine, a good tight copy. £950
- LYDEKKER Richard. THE DEER OF ALL LANDS. A History of the Family of Cervidae Living and Extinct. Rowland Ward, 1898. 
FIRST EDITION, quarto, pp xx, 329, 24 hand-coloured lithographic plates, neat note in margin of 2 pages, original green cloth, spine a little faded, partially unopened, very good and clean. £1500
No. 396 of 500.
- LYNAM Edward. RICHARD HAKLUYT AND HIS SUCCESSORS. London: Hakluyt Society, 1946. 
FIRST EDITION, 8vo, pp 192, 68, illustrations, original blue cloth. £40
- MEINERTZHAGEN Richard. DIARY OF A BLACK SHEEP. Oliver & Boyd, 1964. 
FIRST EDITION, 8vo, pp xxii, 364, 24 plates, original red cloth, dust-jacket (fading to spine). £90
Autobiography of the famous naturalist and author of Birds of Arabia and Kenya Diary.
- NICOLL M J. THREE VOYAGES OF A NATURALIST; being an Account of Many Little-Known Islands in Three Oceans Visited by the 'Valhalla', RYS. London: Witherby, 1908. 
FIRST EDITION, 8vo, pp xxvi, 246, maps, illustrations, original blue cloth. £80
- NORMAN C B. COLONIAL FRANCE. W H Allen, 1886. 
FIRST EDITION, 8vo, pp xii, 331, folding map, original purple decorative cloth, spine slightly faded, good, clean and crisp. £75
Details of all the countries France controls.
- PARKER Harry, & BOWEN C Frank. MAIL & PASSENGER; Steamships of the Nineteenth Century; the Macpherson Collection with Iconographical and Historical Notes. London: Sampson Low, 1928. 
FIRST EDITION, quarto, pp xxvii, 324, 16 colour plates, numerous black & white illustrations, original beige cloth, a near fine copy. £300
- PUMPELLY Raphael. ACROSS AMERICA AND ASIA; Notes of a Five Years' Journey Around the World and of Residence in Arizona, Japan and China. London: Sampson Low, 1870. 
FIRST EDITION, 8vo, pp xvi, 454, 4 maps (3 folding), 4 coloured wood cuts, 8 plates, illustrations, original red decorative cloth, inner joints cracked, but a very good clean copy. £170
- SHILLIBEER J. A NARRATIVE OF THE BRITON'S VOYAGE TO PITCAIRN ISLAND; including an Interesting Sketch of the Present State of the Brazils and of Spanish South America.` Law & Whittaker, 1817. 
Second Edition, 8vo, pp xii, 180, frontispiece, 14 plates (some folding, 1 sepia tint), original buff boards, small wear to spine, very good. £650
- SKOGMAN C[arl Johan Alfred]. FREGATTEN 'EUGENIES' RESA OMKRING JORDEN; åren 1851-1853, under Befäl af C A Virgin. Stockholm: Adolf Bonnier, nd [1854-55.] 
FIRST EDITION, 2 vols-in-1, 8vo, pp vi, (i) blank, 250; v, (iii), 224, (2); lithographic plates (18 coloured, some heightened with varnish), 6 line-engravings, 3 folding charts, textual vignettes, bound in later blue cloth with recent brown leather label, an uncommon circumnavigation. £200
Skogman was the astronomer on board the 'EUGENIE' which visited the east and west coasts of South America and Pacific and Indian Ocean islands. Virgin commanded this first Swedish circumnavigation, which also called at Hong Kong, San Francisco, Canton, Manila, Singapore, Batavia, the Cape of Good Hope and the Azores. Only the thirty pages dealing with Honolulu were translated into English (1954).
"The work is much sought after because of its fine color plates. In the appendices is a section on whaling in the Pacific Ocean." Hill Hill p573; Kroepelien 1196
- WILKES Charles. NARRATIVE OF THE UNITED STATES' EXPLORING EXPEDITION DURING THE YEARS 1838-1842. London: Whittaker, 1845. 
Condensed and Abridged Edition, 8vo, pp vii, 372, original green blind stamped cloth, spine faded and split on 1 joint and small wear to head and tail. £95
- WOLFF Joseph. TRAVELS AND ADVENTURES OF DR WOLFF. Saunders, Otley, 1860. 
FIRST EDITION, 8vo, 2 vols, pp viii, 535; xv, 465; portrait frontispiece, small vignette on title-pages, contemporary brown half calf, small piece of leather missing at head of Vol II, a good, clean set. Scarce. £1200