|J & SL Bonham|
In our Online Catalogue we have only a selection from our extensive stock. We would be happy therefore to answer any Enquiries. Visitors are always welcome but please make an appointment to avoid a wasted journey.
- BULLEN Frank T. THE CRUISE OF THE 'CACHALOT'; Round the World after Sperm Whales. London: Smith Elder, 1898. 
FIRST EDITION, 8vo, pp xx, 379, folding map, illustrations, original blue decorative cloth, joints slightly rubbed. £125
- BYRON John. A VOYAGE ROUND THE WORLD in His Majesty's Ship the 'DOLPHIN', Commanded by the Honourable Commodore Byron. In which is contained, a Faithful Account of the Several Places, People, Plants, Animals, etc. seen on the Voyage: and among other particulars, a minute and exact description of the Streights of Magellan, and of the gigantic peoples called Patagonians. Together with an accurate account of seven islands lately discovered in the South Seas. London: J Newbury, 1767. 
FIRST EDITION, 8vo, pp preface, 186, advertisements, frontispiece (Patagonian Giants), 2 plates (a plate slightly frayed in a margin not affecting image), contemporary brown full calf, later re-back, clean and crisp.
BYRON John. THE NARRATIVE OF THE HONOURABLE JOHN BYRON; containing an Account of the Great Distresses Suffered by Himself and His Companions on the Coast of Patagonia... London: S Baker, 1768.
FIRST EDITION, 8vo, pp viii, 237, frontispiece. £3,000
- DU PERIER. A GENERAL HISTRY OF ALL VOYAGES AND TRAVELS THROUGHOUT THE OLD AND NEW WORLD... London: Edmund Curll, 1708. 
First UK Edition, 8vo, pp (x), 364, (8), frontispiece, 5 plates, small wormhole in the margin of the first 76 pages not affecting text or plates, contemporary brown panelled calf, recently re-backed. £750
- FOSBROKE Thomas Dudley. FOREIGN TOPOGRAPHY; or, An Encyclopedick Account, alphabetically arranged, of the Ancient Remains in Africa, Asia, and Europe; forming a sequel to the Encyclopedia of Antiquities. London: J B Nichols, 1828. 
FIRST EDITION, quarto, pp xlviii, 348, 11 plates (partly coloured), illustrations, contemporary full calf, spine a little rubbed. £120
There were 22 additional plates issued but not always bound in.
Bookplate of the Duke of Portland.
- GREY William, Hon Mrs. JOURNAL OF A VISIT TO EGYPT, CONSTANTINOPLE, THE CRIMEA, GREECE, ETC; in the Suite of the Prince and Princess of Wales. London: Smith Elder, 1870. 
Second Edition, 8vo, pp 203, original purple cloth, spine lightly faded. £65
- HINCHLIFF Thomas Woodbine. OVER THE SEA AND FAR AWAY. Longmans, Green, 1876. 
FIRST EDITION, 8vo, pp xv, 416, 14 illustrations, recent brown half calf. RARE. £220
Charles Wheatley's copy, see page 118.
- LA MARTINIERE Bruzen. INTRODUCTION A L'HISTOIRE DE L'ASIE, DE L'AFRIQUE, ET DE L'AMERIQUE. Amsterdam: Zacharie Chatelain, 1735. 
FIRST EDITION, 2 vols, small 8vo, pp xxiii, 504; 568; 4 folding maps, contemporary full calf, joints cracked, wear and rubbing to head and tail of spine. £240
- LUBIN R P A. MERCURE GEOGRAPHIQUE; ou, le Guide du Curieux des Cartes Geographiques. Paris: Chez Christopie Remy, 1678. 
FIRST EDITION, 12mo, pp viii, 413, 23, frontispiece, woodcut on title-page, a page of the "Tables" torn without loss, contemporary brown full calf, gilt, covers rubbed, neatly re-backed using original spine, a good tight copy. £950
- LYNAM Edward. RICHARD HAKLUYT AND HIS SUCCESSORS. London: Hakluyt Society, 1946. 
FIRST EDITION, 8vo, pp 192, 68, illustrations, original blue cloth. £40
- MEINERTZHAGEN Richard. DIARY OF A BLACK SHEEP. Oliver & Boyd, 1964. 
FIRST EDITION, 8vo, pp xxii, 364, 24 plates, original red cloth, dust-jacket (fading to spine). £90
Autobiography of the famous naturalist and author of Birds of Arabia and Kenya Diary.
- NICOLL M J. THREE VOYAGES OF A NATURALIST; being an Account of Many Little-Known Islands in Three Oceans Visited by the 'Valhalla', RYS. London: Witherby, 1908. 
FIRST EDITION, 8vo, pp xxvi, 246, maps, illustrations, original blue cloth. £80
- OTTER R H. WINTERS ABROAD; some Information respecting Places Visited by the author on account of his Health. London: John Murray, 1882. 
FIRST EDITION, 8vo, pp xii, 236, original red cloth, faded in parts, sprung but joints intact. £45
- PARKER Harry, & BOWEN C Frank. MAIL & PASSENGER; Steamships of the Nineteenth Century; the Macpherson Collection with Iconographical and Historical Notes. London: Sampson Low, 1928. 
FIRST EDITION, quarto, pp xxvii, 324, 16 colour plates, numerous black & white illustrations, original beige cloth, a near fine copy. £300
- PASTON George. AT JOHN MURRAY'S; Records of a Literary Circle 1843-1892. London: John Murray, 1932. 
FIRST EDITION, 8vo, pp xvi, 320, frontispiece, plates, original black cloth. £65
Presentation copy from John Murray to Mr Williams.
- PUMPELLY Raphael. ACROSS AMERICA AND ASIA; Notes of a Five Years' Journey Around the World and of Residence in Arizona, Japan and China. London: Sampson Low, 1870. 
FIRST EDITION, 8vo, pp xvi, 454, 4 maps (3 folding), 4 coloured wood cuts, 8 plates, illustrations, original red decorative cloth, inner joints cracked, but a very good clean copy. £170
- SKOGMAN C[arl Johan Alfred]. FREGATTEN 'EUGENIES' RESA OMKRING JORDEN; åren 1851-1853, under Befäl af C A Virgin. Stockholm: Adolf Bonnier, nd [1854-55.] 
FIRST EDITION, 2 vols-in-1, 8vo, pp vi, (i) blank, 250; v, (iii), 224, (2); lithographic plates (18 coloured, some heightened with varnish), 6 line-engravings, 3 folding charts, textual vignettes, bound in later blue cloth with recent brown leather label, an uncommon circumnavigation. £200
Skogman was the astronomer on board the 'EUGENIE' which visited the east and west coasts of South America and Pacific and Indian Ocean islands. Virgin commanded this first Swedish circumnavigation, which also called at Hong Kong, San Francisco, Canton, Manila, Singapore, Batavia, the Cape of Good Hope and the Azores. Only the thirty pages dealing with Honolulu were translated into English (1954).
"The work is much sought after because of its fine color plates. In the appendices is a section on whaling in the Pacific Ocean." Hill Hill p573; Kroepelien 1196
- VALENTIA George. VOYAGES AND TRAVELS TO INDIA, CEYLON, THE RED SEA, ABYSSINIA, AND EGYPT; in the Years 1802, 1803, 1804, 1805 and 1806. London: Wm Miller, 1809. 
FIRST EDITION, 3 vols, quarto, engraved vignettes at head of first chapter of each volume, 66 engraved plates and charts (8 folding), large folding plan (Alexandria), 2 large folding charts (Red Sea), some occasional browning and spotting Vol II, 19th century brown full morocco, joints a little rubbed, hinges strengthened. Volume one rebacked using the original spine. £1450
The plates are mostly after Henry Salt and the advertisement at the end refers to Salt's TWENTY FOUR VIEWS IN ST HELENA, published in the same year. The book includes a description of the Cape of Good Hope, Paarl and surrounding country.
- WILKES Charles. NARRATIVE OF THE UNITED STATES' EXPLORING EXPEDITION DURING THE YEARS 1838-1842. London: Whittaker, 1845. 
Condensed and Abridged Edition, 8vo, pp vii, 372, original green blind stamped cloth, spine faded and split on 1 joint and small wear to head and tail. £95
- WOLFF Joseph. TRAVELS AND ADVENTURES OF DR WOLFF. Saunders, Otley, 1860. 
FIRST EDITION, 8vo, 2 vols, pp viii, 535; xv, 465; portrait frontispiece, small vignette on title-pages, contemporary brown half calf, small piece of leather missing at head of Vol II, a good, clean set. Scarce. £1200